The Summer Research Internship is the "capstone" activity for motivating and preparing highly qualified students for doctoral study. It includes ten weeks of field and/or laboratory research. Each McNair scholar has at least one faculty mentor from their academic department who guides the student’s research through to completion. For information about becoming a mentor or finding a mentor, visit the Mentors webpage.
As part of the experience, the student is required to write a research paper with their faculty mentor's guidance. Students give an oral presentation of their research at the end of the Summer Research Internship.
SRI Program Requirements
- Must have completed sophomore year
- Must be a McNair Scholar. If you are interested please contact Dr. Nievita Bueno Watts.
- Contact and confirm the participation of a faculty mentor to support and supervise the research program.
- Spend 35 hours per week on the research project plus 5 hours per week in Scholar Meetings. Students are expected to meet and consult with their advisor on a regular basis throughout the summer research experience.
- Attend regular workshops, lectures, informal faculty meetings, visits to other campuses, and bi-weekly Scholar Seminars.
- Submit an abstract and give an oral presentation about their summer research.
- Submit a final research paper (10-15 pages).
Pre-SRI Documents required DUE May 4, 2018
- SRI Mentor & Scholar Agreement pdf , doc
- Research Proposal signed by faculty mentor
- Stipend Disbursement Agreement pdf , doc [sample pdf , doc ]
SRI participants are eligible to receive a stipend in the course of their efforts. These stipends shall be paid in six installments, each payable upon completion of a corresponding benchmark called a milestone. It is important to note that, if requirements are not met, payments will not be made. In addition, participants may receive assistance with room and board during the Summer Research Internship. Details of room and board arrangements are available from the director.
May 14, 2018 - July 31, 2018
Student SRI Materials
Forms due throughout the summer:
- SRI Time and Effort Log
- SRI Receipts Worksheet or Word Version
- SRI Milestone Completion Form or Word Version